For decades, adjustable beds were used solely in hospitals and long-term care facilities to help provide a more comfortable sleep for patients recovering from surgery and suffering from various medical conditions. It’s the ability to raise/lower the head and foot of the bed helped with breathing, blood circulation, and general comfort as it effortlessly allowed patients to sit up as they recuperated. Fast forward, and consumers quickly caught on to the comfort and convenience a fully adjustable bed provided. Whether recovering from illness, or simply assuming a more ergonomic position, for when reading or watching TV in bed, the adjustable design soon took off, and we’ve never looked back.
The right mattress is just one aspect of the overall combination of your ultimate sleep solution. There are so many other components that go into the best complete unit to meet your needs. If you’re in the market for a base that will offer unique benefits and have the budget to invest in a complete sleep system capable of providing qualities you’ll enjoy for years, we’ve tried out some of the best adjustable beds in the online industry. Take a moment to compare their features to see if they could be a good pick for your needs.
Table Of Contents
- Best Adjustable Bed Reviews
- #1. Ghostbed Adjustable Base
- #2. Lineal Adjustable Base by Saatva
- #3. Lucid 300 Series Adjustable Base
- #4. Classic Brands Comfort Upholstered Adjustable Bed Base
- #5. Zinus Jared 14 Inch Metal Adjustable Bed Frame Base
- Pain Relieving Benefits
- Higher Degree of Comfort with Semi-Fowler Position
- The Intimacy Factor
- Additional Features You Might Enjoy
- Main Features to Look for in the Best Adjustable Bed Base
- Recent Updates
Best Adjustable Bed Reviews
#1. Ghostbed Adjustable Base
- Simple to put together
- Lifetime limited warranty
- Zero gravity feature reduces stress and fatigue and improves circulation
- Anti-snoring preset a great feature for sleep partners and even prevents asthma attacks
- Lower back pain reduced using lounge position
- Massage feature is nice and targets aches and pains well
- Under-bed LED lights prevent accidents when you need to get up in the middle of the night
- Recover more easily from surgery or medical procedures without having to rely on stacks of pillows to prop you up
- Emergency power-down feature convenient in the case of an outage
- Owner’s manual includes a very helpful troubleshooting guide
- Limited size availability
- No ability to choose the color
- Customer service had limited hours and was mediocre in terms of product knowledge
It offers all the bells and whistles at a much lower price than many competitors. If you’re in the market to transform your room and introduce a whole new sleep experience into your life, this product is for you.
#2. Lineal Adjustable Base by Saatva
- Warranty – Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Height – Legs adjust between six and 11 inches
There are many awesome features the GhostBed adjustable base offers, and they can cater to various needs. If you’re at all familiar with how these products work, you know the head and foot can move up and down. The GhostBed adjustable base brings multiple new possibilities into your bedroom all in a single product. With the endless adjustments, you can more easily get in and out of bed, soothe aches and pains, sit up with ease, and recover more easily from surgery or medical procedures without having to rely on stacks of pillows to prop you up. Included in your package are:
- Remote control
- 2 AAA batteries
- 6 legs
- Retainer bracket
- 2 pins
— Zero Gravity Feature
Zero Gravity elevates the legs slightly higher than chest level. This allows the blood to flow back to the heart more easily, thus reducing stress and fatigue.
Other features I enjoyed include:
- Light feature that illuminates underneath your bed
- Head and foot massage
- Lounge position
- TV setting
- USB ports
- Wireless remote
- Anti Snore feature
- Warranty – 25 years with first five including parts, labor and remaining 20 on a limited
- warranty basis
- Height – Legs adjust between six and 10 inches
Remember that massaging feature I mentioned? This is an available feature with Lineal Adjustable Base by Saatva, and I’ve found it to really add to your ability to achieve total relaxation. While using this product, I found I was able to enjoy a more even distribution of pressure over the entirety of the sleeping surface. When you receive your product, Saatva will put it together for you. If you move and have to take it apart, however, it’s pretty easy if you follow the instructions. Included in your package are:
- Four legs
- Remote control w/ triple A batteries
- Power supply including power brick, electrical feed cord, and electrical power cord
- Two corner mattress retainers with bolts
- Headboard bracket assemblies
- Headboard bracket hardware
- Owner’s manual
- Warranty activation card
- 9-volt battery sold separately
- Four legs
— Zero Gravity Feature
Along with the ability to preset two settings of your very own, Saatva also includes a preset for zero gravity. This is ideal for the reduction in common aches and pains, and it also works to improve blood flow and make breathing easier for you snorers out there. Other great features I definitely enjoyed include:
- Light feature that illuminates underneath your bed
- Head and foot massage
- Lounge position
- Flashlight on remote
- One-click settings
- Wireless remote
- Mattress clip(s)
- High-quality manufacturing
- Multiple added features for maximum enjoyment
- Light feature acts as a safety precaution
- Great value for quality materials
- Base cannot be independently adjusted for sleep partners
- Some complaints of the massagers automatically turning off before they’re finished enjoying them
- No USB port
Overall, I found this product to offer a high degree of functionality that offers many options for both you and your sleep partner.
#3. Lucid 300 Series Adjustable Base
- Warranty – 10 year limited
- Height – 15 inches
If you’re in the market for a quality adjustable base but need to keep the budget on the lower end of the spectrum, the Lucid 300 Series adjustable base is worth a look. This product is capable of holding up to 750 pounds including the weight of your mattress, and it offers the basics when it comes to the ability to make adjustments and program settings you really like.
— Simple Assembly
It’s not difficult to put this product together. As you go through your material inventory, there are only five things to look for:
- Remote (2 triple-A batteries included)
- Two retainer bars to keep mattress from slipping off the frame when adjustments are made
- Four detached legs, two pre-attached
- Power cord
- Supply box
— USB Port Convenience
If the USB port feature sounded like a good idea to you, you’ll enjoy knowing you will find two USB ports located on each side near the head. This means you can charge up to four devices at once, and I found it quite convenient to simply slip my phone charger in between the mattress and base to keep it concealed and always ready when I need it.
- Great price for the materials
- USB ports add convenience when it comes to waking up on time
- Simple assembly and included batteries makes it easy to get started enjoying the product
- No foot decline
- No anti-snoring feature
- No massage feature
- No A/C outlets
- Relatively slow transition speeds
- No option to illuminate beneath the base
- Single presetting can be limiting
- No zero-gravity feature
- No adjustable height ability
- Only available in twin XL and queen
- Independent adjustments for sleep partners not an option
I found it convenient that Lucid included batteries for the remote. Few things are more frustrating when you get a new toy than to find you have to head up to the store before you can start having fun with it!
#4. Classic Brands Comfort Upholstered Adjustable Bed Base
- Warranty – 3 years
- Height – 11.5 inches (maximum)
For those that love the convenience of anything “multi-functional”, this is the adjustable bed frame you’ve been waiting for. Not only does it offer programmable settings that can be pre-set for quick adjustment to your optimal TV viewing angle, it even offers a zero-gravity position for those who love that relaxing sensation of floating on air. But here’s where this adjustable bed takes multi-function to an entirely new level. At the end of a long, busy day, you can lay down in your new bed and enjoy a stress-releasing 3-speed head and foot massage – all at the touch of a button. There’s more, because this frame includes two wireless remotes for quick and easy repositioning as well as two built-in USB ports for charging all your devices. It’s compatible with memory foam, gel-foam, hybrid, and coil-spring mattresses and with the full-size design, it can support a combined weight of 660 pounds.
For those that use their bed for everything from TV viewing, to catching up on work, to reading, and even gaming, this adjustment frame with dual USB ports and wireless remote controls, is the ideal option.
- Programmable preset positions
- Head and foot massage feature
- Holds up to 660 pounds combined weight
- Remote Control
- 2 USB ports
- Not a wall-hugger design
- Not steel construction
#5. Zinus Jared 14 Inch Metal Adjustable Bed Frame Base
- Warranty – 5 years
- Height – 14 inches
If you love the idea of climbing into a cozy, adjustable bed to enjoy an evening of TV viewing, reading, or catching up on emails, but you just can’t get past the price tag, then this is the one for you. Featuring heavy-duty, steel-frame construction, this adjustable bed frame delivers sturdy, long-lasting support and works in conjunction with virtually any depth of memory foam mattress (or a low-profile coil-spring). Best of all, you get a handy remote control that allows you to elevate your head, or lift your feet in the increments that best suit your needs. For those who are pregnant or suffering from acid reflux, you’ll appreciate the gentle slope that promotes a comfortable, uninterrupted sleep. And if you’re into gaming or reading in bed, a steeper, upright angle is just a click away. This heavy-duty frame can support a combined mattress and sleeper weight of 650 pounds.
If you’re looking for a quality-built adjustable bed frame that won’t break the bank, this all-steel frame with remote control feature is a great choice
- Heavy-duty steel construction
- Compatible to any depth memory foam mattress
- Holds up to 650 pounds combined weight
- Remote Control
- Easy assembly
- Remote not wireless
- Not programmable
Pain Relieving Benefits
One of the most prominent reasons customers opt for adjustable bases is their ability to offer an increase in relief that stems from a number of factors including:
- Back issues
- Necks problems
- Spinal Stenosis
- Degenerative spondylolisthesis
- Breathing problems
- Restless leg syndrome
- Heart and circulation problems
- Acid reflux
Higher Degree of Comfort with Semi-Fowler Position
The best adjustable bed frames in terms of overall popularity are those featuring inclines of no more than 30 to 45 degrees. Also known as semi-Fowler’s position, this is known to add a degree of comfort conventional frames simply cannot. Not only can it be accommodating when you’re watching television or reading, but it can also help relieve pressure if you have bothersome areas in your hips or shoulders.
All of the products I’ve tried out so far have also offered programmable memory positions that capture your favorite positions and will return to them at the push of a button. I’ve found that I like to have my top half laying flat with my legs slightly elevated, and I can achieve this position whenever I want with ease.
You may want to read: Best Adjustable Pillow
The Intimacy Factor
Without getting into too much detail, adjustable beds can open up new possibilities in the bedroom. With the ability to raise and lower the mattress to your desired position, you and your partner can increase creativity and enjoy a higher degree of satisfaction in the intimacy department. And, I’ll let your imagination take it from there!
Additional Features You Might Enjoy
Depending on your budget, there are a variety of innovative features I’ve found to be quite convenient and comfortable. Just a few include:
1. Lighting features that light up the bottom of your bed- Not only can this help you find things that tend to get lost down there, but it also adds a neat aura to the room at night.
2. USB chargers– We’ve all found ourselves searching for a charger at the end of the night so we can rely on our alarm clock without the risk of a dead battery and late start for the day. With USB plugs located on your base, you can keep a charger tucked beneath for safekeeping or use the plugs for any other purposes that make your life more convenient.
3. Built-in massage feature– This has been a personal favorite feature of mine. Just press a button, and motors at the head and foot of the bed will vibrate in varying wavelengths to fit your preferences. They typically shut off after 15 to 20 minutes so you don’t accidentally leave it running all night.
Be on the Lookout for Deceptive Features That Don’t Add Value
As you look at adjustable bed reviews, don’t be fooled by deceptive features that look neat but really don’t add any value to your overall product. Just a few things that don’t do a whole lot to add to the overall experience and may just add to the price include:
- A fancy outer shell- never make your purchasing decision solely based on what the base looks like
- Elaborate remote control- my favorite adjustable base featured a simple remote control, and that’s all you really need, anyway
- Mattress/base combos- you don’t have to buy the same brand of mattress as adjustable base. There are many quality products to choose from that are compatible with adjustable bases.
You may be interested in: Adjustable Bed vs Hospital Bed: Which One Will Suit You The Best?
Main Features to Look for in the Best Adjustable Bed Base
There are obviously quite a few unique features to take advantage of when it comes to adjustable bases. Before we start looking at adjustable bed comparisons, let’s take a look at the most important features you need to watch out for when seeking an adjustable base product.
Looking for another best-rated adjustable bed? Check out our Rize adjustable bed review here.
- Always choose steel legs over aluminum for added durability
- Make sure the motor isn’t too loud for those with massagers- this is a great way in which review videos can prove helpful
- Check for the availability of battery backup
- Ensure the plywood deck is no less than ¾ “ in thickness
- Ensure motors are listed and rated by Underwriters Laboratories
- Check for wall-hugging features that will ensure your bed fits squarely in your room
If you’ve seen our videos, you know I sign off with a simple reminder… the right mattress can make even the worst days better. This is truer than we really stop and think about. A poor night’s rest has a negative impact on your entire day. From aches and pains to fatigue and more, life is just more enjoyable when you’re comfortable. The right adjustable base can be a great addition to your combined sleep solution. To wrap up, the main features you should be concerned with as you shop include:
- Cost of the quality of construction
- Added features like massage motors
- Materials used in the legs and covering
Most of all, though, have fun during your shopping experience. You’re about to invest in a product that can make a significant positive difference in your quality of life. If you need guidance along the way, feel free to drop us a line. We’re always happy to provide tailored advice based on your circumstances.
October 18, 2021: Two products have been added to this roundup due to consumer popularity: the Classic Brands Comfort Upholstered Adjustable Bed Base and the Zinus Jared 14 Inch Metal Adjustable Bed Frame Base.