The bean bag chair, a product taking up space in homes since 1968, was created by three Italian men during the Italian Modernism movement. It was inspired by the post-war technology that they had available. Back then, they were just sacks of polystyrene balls in a lump on the floor. Today, they’re much more than that. They come in the form of chairs, couches, beds and are extremely popular today.
I can’t tell you how excited I was when I found out I’d be able to give a few of them a test-run. I’d never personally owned a bean bag chair before, but I had bought one for my kids and they loved it. I didn’t see the big deal about them until my very first one arrived on my doorstep. After that, I was completely hooked. That’s why I decided to fill you in on some of the best bean bag chairs that are currently on the market.
CordaRoy’s Chenille Bean Bag Chair
Chill Sack Bean Bag Chair
Comfy Sacks Memory Foam Bean Bag Chair
Jaxx 6 Foot Cocoon Large Bean Bag Chair
|#5||Sofa Sack Plush Bean Bag Chair||
|#6||Amazon Basics Memory Foam Filled Bean Bag Chair||
|#7||Big Joe Classic Beanbag Smartmax||
|#8||Yoweenton Bear Stuffed Animal Storage Bean Bag Chair||
Table Of Contents
- Best Bean Bag Chairs
- 1. Editor’s Choice – CordaRoy’s Chenille Bean Bag Chair
- 2. Runner Up – Chill Sack Bean Bag Chair
- 3. Best for Kids – Comfy Sacks Memory Foam Bean Bag Chair
- 4. Best Oversized – Jaxx 6 Foot Cocoon Large Bean Bag Chair
- 5. Best Lightweight – Sofa Sack 5 Foot Plush Bean Bag Chair
- 6. Best Lounger – Amazon Basics Memory Foam Filled Bean Bag Chair
- 7. Customer’s Choice – Big Joe Classic Beanbag Smartmax
- 8. Best for Girls – Yoweenton Bear Stuffed Animal Storage Bean Bag Chair
- How To Choose A Bean Bag Chair
- Different Filling Types
- What To Look For In A Bean Bag Chair
- Recent Updates
- Additional Resources
Best Bean Bag Chairs
1. Editor’s Choice – CordaRoy’s Chenille Bean Bag Chair
- Dimensions: 42 x 42 x 32 inches
- Weight: 35 pounds
- Cover material: Polyester
- Filling: Certi-Pur memory foam
- Warranty: Lifetime
This is definitely one of the most unique bean bag chairs that I’ve seen, and the best bean bag for adults currently on the market. It’s made with a polyester blend and premium soft shredded foam. All of the fabrics have been tested and guaranteed comfortable for life. There are two features here that I really love. The first one is that the covers are changeable. Second, it turns into a full-sized bed! All you have to do is unzip and pull it out. When I got the CordaRoy’s bean bag, I wasn’t sure what to expect. How can you fit a bed inside of a bean bag?! But it’s easy. You fold it like a taco, and slip the cover around it. This is definitely great for sleepovers, family rooms, a man cave, basement and so much more. It’s definitely comfortable to both sit and sleep on. I was quite impressed by the versatility of it. Plus, the cover can easily be machine washed.
The CordaRoy’s bean bag comes with a lifetime warranty which attests to their high-quality materials and workmanship. They’re firm believers that businesses should stand behind their products, and it’s easy to contact them if you have any issues with your product.
- Converts into a bed
- Easy to move around
- Simple to set up
- Great warranty
- Fluff may uncomfortably bunch up at times
2. Runner Up – Chill Sack Bean Bag Chair
- Dimensions: 60 x 60 x 34 inches
- Weight: 55 pounds
- Colors: 39
- Cover material: Microfiber
- Filling: Shredded memory foam blend
- Warranty: 3 years
It doesn’t matter how old you are or what your home décor may be – everyone loves a good bean bag chair. The Chill Sack produces an oversized bean bag chair that measures 60 x 60 x 34 inches, which makes it the perfect size for both adults and children. This bean bag chair is breathable and comfortable, allowing the body to sink into a relaxing position but not to the point where you’re touching the floor.
This Chill Sack bean bag uses shredded memory foam to promote air circulation, leaving the surface of the chair cool to the touch. It’s made to be highly durable and long-lasting, using double stitching on the cover for maximum strength. It also comes complete with a removable cover that can be easily laundered with your weekly wash.
- Forms to fit the body with use of shredded memory foam
- Removable cover can be machine washed
- Microsuede material is resistant to stains or rips that occur due to regular use
- Some customers reported that the vent holes would rip after use
3. Best for Kids – Comfy Sacks Memory Foam Bean Bag Chair
- Dimensions: 72 x 72 x 34 inches
- Weight: 78 pounds
- Cover material: Microfiber
- Filling: Shredded memory foam
- Warranty: 5 years
The Comfy Sacks bean bag chair is one of the smaller ones that I’ve received, making it one of the best for kids. It also fits in my living room perfectly. The inside is made from durable memory foam shredded into pieces. It’s soft and resists permanent compression. One of my favorite features is that it comes with a safety zipper. The inner liner has a breakaway zipper that you simply twist and pull off to keep the zipper in place.
When I received the Comfy Sacks bean bag, I had to break up the filling myself, and it kind of went all over the place when I released it from the bag. There must have been pieces that got stuck on the outside. However, once I was done breaking up the foam, I had my kids jump all over it to break it up more and fluff it. As I inspected it more, it seemed durable enough to withstand the weight of my kids. It’s made of double stitched seams and a durable microfiber fabric that can be machine washed. The Comfy Sacks also comes with a generous 5-year warranty. Overall, I really liked the feel and size of it, and it was perfect for my home and my kids.
- 5-year warranty
- Easy to move around
- Slight off-gassing smell
4. Best Oversized – Jaxx 6 Foot Cocoon Large Bean Bag Chair
- Dimensions: 72 x 72 x 20 inches
- Weight: 52 pounds
- Cover material: Micro-suede
- Filling: Memory foam
- Warranty: 1 year
The Jaxx Cocoon was one of the largest bean bags that I’d received. This lush micro-suede bag measures 6 feet and can be used in more than one position. You can lay it down flat, flip it on its side as a sofa, or lift it upright and sit in it like a chair. This is definitely one of the best lounge chairs that I’ve ever sat on. Another great feature is that it provides pressure-relieving support while remaining comfortable.
When I opened the box, I found two large squares, a liner and the cover. It was my job to put the polyurethane foam micro-cushions inside the liner. Wow, was that a chore! I had to break up both squares into the zipped liner, and my hands were pretty sore after a while. However, if you can get past the initial setup, you won’t be disappointed. This Jaxx bean bag comes with a one year warranty. If you have any issues with the quality of the bean bag or the foam fill, you can contact the manufacturer and they’ll refund you or replace your product. The cover of this bean bag is also washable, so you can always have a fresh and clean sitting surface for your family and friends.
- Large enough for two or more adults
- Multiple positions
- Machine washable
- Setup can be a hassle
5. Best Lightweight – Sofa Sack 5 Foot Plush Bean Bag Chair
- Dimensions: 60 x 60 x 30 inches
- Weight: 52.9 pounds
- Cover material: Passion suede
- Filling: Memory foam
- Colors: 14
This Microsuede chair provides comfort like no other traditional bean bag chair. Its soft memory foam filling will gently conform to your body shape each time you sit down to enjoy your favorite Netflix series, or get together with family over the holidays. You can also rest assured that your chair – and your hard-earned cash – won’t be going to waste. Its protective cover uses double seams to ensure a long life, all while providing a soft feel to the user and a touch of style to any room.
If you’re worried that your new chair will be stuck in one place once you set it down, these are designed to be relatively lightweight, so you can easily move it from one room to another!
- High-quality memory foam that adjusts to your body
- Double-seamed suede cover protects the chair
- Available in a range of colors
- Lightweight design
- May take longer than 24 hours to reach its full size after unpacking
- May require frequent fluffing to maintain its full size
6. Best Lounger – Amazon Basics Memory Foam Filled Bean Bag Chair
- Dimensions: 72 x 48 x 34 inches
- Weight: 64 pounds
- Cover material: Microfiber
- Filling: Memory foam
This chair features shredded memory foam to provide outstanding comfort, no matter how long you spend sitting or lounging. Whether you’re going to binge-watch the Lord of the Rings series with family, or stay up all night gaming with friends, your bum and back will find relief in this comfy chair. And whether you want to cozy up by yourself or with your partner, you’re sure to have lots of space to cozy up and enjoy the evening.
The microfiber cover offers users a soft-to-the-touch feeling, while also protecting your chair from harm – including those nasty stains. Yep, this chair is stain-resistant, too! If none of the other bags on this list have impressed you, why not give this one from AmazonBasics a try?
- Comfortable shredded memory foam filling
- Microfiber cover is soft and protects against stains
- Offers plenty of room
- Memory foam tends to clump together
- Doesn’t ship completely filled, and adding filler may be difficult for some
7. Customer’s Choice – Big Joe Classic Beanbag Smartmax
- Dimensions: 33 x 33 x 20 inches
- Weight: Not specified
- Cover material: Textile
- Filling: Premium FUF material
The Big Joe Classic Beanbag uses small, shredded foam pieces to give you optimal comfort whether you’re lounging around watching TV, or gaming with friends for hours. The foam fill is also eco-friendly and sustainable. The soft cover is easy to remove and is machine washable for your convenience. This particular bean bag comes in a variety of classic and fun colors to suit any living space decor.
Each bag comes with sewn-in durable handles to allow for easy moving from one room to another, so you won’t have an issue straining your back while you’re lugging a bean bag all around the house! The Big Joe bean bag is made and designed in the USA, and you’ll feel even better knowing that a percentage of all profits goes to a charity to help the environment.
- Stain and water resistant, easy to spot-clean
- Built-in handle for easy transportation
- Designed and filled in the USA
- May need occasional fluffing to maintain its original shape
8. Best for Girls – Yoweenton Bear Stuffed Animal Storage Bean Bag Chair
- Dimensions: 24 x 24 x 19.6 inches
- Weight: Not specified
- Cover material: Velvet
- Filling: N/A
- Warranty: 1 year
This stuffed animal bean bag from Yoweenton is one of the best for girls currently on the market. It’s a multi-purpose bean bag that can act as an additional seating space, as well as another storage option for your child’s bedroom. As this purchase doesn’t come with filling included, the filling that you choose is completely up to you. You can stuff the bag traditionally with beads, or use it for storing extra towels, blankets, pillows, clothes or even stuffed toys.
It can act as a fun decorative piece in any room or a comfy chair to lounge on. The plush velvet is durable, so you don’t have to worry about overstuffing it as the fabric shouldn’t tear if you do sit on it. The cover also comes with a handle, so it’s easy to carry around and drag the bean bag when it’s full. Yoweenton also offers a 1-year warranty and 100% replacement or refund guarantee, in case you aren’t satisfied with your purchase.
- Variety of fun colors and designs to choose from
- Built-in fabric handle for easy transportation
- Comfortable and soft velvet material
- Zipper is not very durable
How To Choose A Bean Bag Chair
Bean bag chairs are a great way to bring some fun into any room. They’re a comfortable option for relaxing and watching TV with the kids, or just reading a book on your own. They come in an array of sizes, shapes, purposes and are made for children, teenagers and adults. Buyers should consider a few factors before they choose a bean bag chair:
This is the number one characteristic to consider. Bean bag chairs can be small, medium, large or extra large. You should think about the size of the space you want to put it in. If you want an extra large size, then you’ll need a large space to accommodate it. For children, smaller bean bag chairs are best. Adult-sized chairs are more sturdy and are made to hold the weight of heavier adults.
Wait, is there more than just one shape of a bean bag? There sure is! Round bean bags are the most popular choice, because that’s what the original version looked like. However, there are now square types that look like cubes. They can take the place of ottomans, dining room chairs, or even a table. Gaming bean bags are round and wide at the base, while tapering forward at the top to create a comfortable back. This ensures that the gamer is in a comfortable upright position and it won’t cause any physical strain. You can also find some of them that convert into a sofa, bed, lounger and so much more.
Different Filling Types
Aren’t bean bag chairs filled with… beans? While some bean bag chairs today stay true to their name and heritage with the traditional ‘bean’ filling, many manufacturers have started using other types of filling. This is to increase comfort, decrease manufacturing costs, or both. Here’s a quick breakdown of two commonly used bean bag fillings:
- EPS beads. EPS stands for “expanded polystyrene.” This synthetic material is very lightweight and airy, as well as moisture and heat-resistant. Bean bag chairs filled with EPS beads tend to be easier to move from one place to another than chairs with other fillings and are quite practical.
- Memory foam. If you’re looking for an affordable bean bag chair that offers sufficient comfort and convenience, you may want to opt for one that uses memory foam filling. Memory foam is known for its ability to ‘mold’ to the shape of whatever is putting pressure on it, making it a comfy option for a chair. Memory foam also tends to retain its shape longer than EPS beads do. The downside to this filling is that bean bag manufacturers like to cut costs by using the cheapest shredded memory foam they can get their hands on. This can result in some bean bag chairs having a ‘lumpy’ feel to them.
What To Look For In A Bean Bag Chair
Is There A Warranty?
This is one of the first things to think about when buying one of these comfortable sitting chairs. If it doesn’t come with a warranty, it’s either really, really good and doesn’t need one, or it’s poor quality bad and the manufacturer won’t honor anything wrong with it. If you can’t find warranty information, don’t be afraid to contact a representative through their chat box. Most of the companies that I got a chair from had a live chat feature except for Big Joe.
Is It Washable?
These chairs are going to get used and abused, especially if you have children. If you don’t have a product that’s washable, you’re going to have to look at that grape juice stain for a long time if you can’t spot clean it well. Most bean bags today come with the option to wash. You simply unzip the outer cover and toss it in the washer.
What Is The Material Like?
You don’t want cheap material that feels like you’re sitting on paper towels filled with beads. You want something that’s comfortable to the touch and that won’t make a lot of noise when adjusting in the chair. Feel free to request a swatch of the outer material or even a sample of the inner materials. Those that are made from furniture-grade upholstery or fabrics are rated well in the industry and are more likely to withstand wear and tear.
Is It Comfortable?
This should be a no-brainer, but is it comfortable enough for you? It may be hard to tell just from looking at a happy face on the internet, but you can always look at the bean bag reviews and ratings for more information. Most of the time, you can get the answers you’re looking for with those who have already had or still have the product.
It was hard to choose just one of these bean bags that were the best. They were all comfortable in their own way, and my kids loved all of them. Based on versatility, price, comfort and durability, I’d have to say that the best bean bag chair would be the CordaRoy’s Bean Bag Chair. I was impressed by the fact that it could turn into an actual bed that was comfortable enough to sleep on. It’s not going to be like your memory foam bed at home, but it definitely works well for sleepovers and short-term use. It’s easy to set up, not very heavy, machine washable, and it has a great warranty. That’s really everything you should be looking for in a good quality bean bag!
January 11, 2022: The Big Joe Classic Beanbag Smartmax and Yoweenton Bear Stuffed Animal Storage Bean Bag Chair have been added to our list of recommendations due to increased consumer popularity. All other products have been verified for availability. An Additional Resources section has been included below to refer readers to related articles.