The Ghostbed Adjustable Base Could be for You If:
- You frequently lose sleep over back pain.
- You have trouble getting in and out of bed or moving around.
- You think having a massage in bed sounds nice.
- You like products that are simple to assemble.
- You charge your mobile devices in bed.
- You would appreciate a subtle light near the floor to prevent you from stubbing your toe.
- You frequently sit up in bed to watch television, read, etc.
- You snore.
The key to restful sleep is to find a mattress with the right combination of support and comfort for your unique needs. However, you can take things up a notch when you add an adjustable base to the mix.
I recently had the chance to try out the Ghostbed adjustable base complete with their Flex Hybrid mattress. If you’d like to learn more about the mattress, I encourage you to check out our full review. We’ve also tried out their flagship, latex/memory foam mattress.
Keep reading to learn the many ways in which the addition of the adjustable base can transform your sleep experience.
GhostBed has made it their mission to “produce and deliver the highest possible quality for a bigger, better, and more affordable mattress. Although their mattresses are made in the United States, the adjustable base is manufactured in Taiwan.
CEO Marc Werner comes from a long line of innovators. In fact, over the past century, five generations of the family have made entrepreneurship their mission. You may have heard of the Werner Ladder Company, the number one ladder company in the world! Using his inherited drive for success and history of painful sleep following three neck surgeries, he desired to create the perfect mattress.
As a child, Werner had a fear there were ghosts hiding under his bed. In fact, his Sunfish sailboat was aptly dubbed “Ghost.” Today, as the CEO of GhostBed, Werner and the staff make it their goal to make a real difference in the lives of their customers.
Let’s jump into the the many awesome features the GhostBed adjustable base offers and how they can cater to various needs. If you’re at all familiar with how these products work, you know the head and foot can move up and down.
While you can certainly play around with the endless combinations of head/foot elevation combinations, GhostBed has pinpointed four in particular that are strategically programmed to meet specific needs:
- Zero Gravity
- Labeled as “ZG” on the remote, Zero Gravity elevates the legs slightly higher than chest level. This allows the blood to flow back to the heart more easily, thus reducing stress and fatigue.
2. Anti Snore
- Labeled as “ZZZ” on the remote, Anti Snore raises the head slightly to open the airway to prevent snoring, a great feature for sleep partners. This position can also prevent asthma attacks and relieve symptoms of acid reflux and heartburn.
- Labeled on the remote as “TV,” this preset raises the head to the ideal position for watching television, reading, or using your laptop.
- Labeled on the remote with an open book icon, this preset manipulates the base into a chaise lounge position to reduce stress and tension in the lower back.
Yes, the GhostBed adjustable base offers massage in the form of vibrations in both the head and foot. Here’s how it works:
- Right above the On/Off button at the bottom left-hand corner of the remote, the “Head” button turns on and changes the intensity of the head massage. There are 15 modes.
- Right above the “Mode” button at the bottom right-hand corner of the remote, the “Foot” button turns on and changes the intensity of the foot massage. There are 15 modes.
- On/Off button at the bottom left-hand corner of remote turns both the head and foot massage on or off.
- “Timer” button between “Head” and “Foot” sets a timer to automatically turn the massage feature off after 10, 20, or 30 minutes.
- The “Mode” button at the bottom right-hand corner of the remote allows you to select from three different vibration wave modes.
I love how the massage feature is able to target aches and pains. It also does an excellent job of stimulating blood flow to allow improved oxygen supply to fatigued areas of the body. If you suffer from tension and muscle fatigue, I think you’ll really appreciate this dual interactive feature.
Other Great Features
- USB ports available on each side of the base to charge your mobile devices.
- Soft under-bed LED lights to prevent accidents when you need to get up in the middle of the night.
- Power down feature in the event there’s a power outage in your area
- Up to four customizable settings. On your remote, you’re able to program your own custom setting to be saved with the following buttons:
- Zero Gravity
As you can see, the GhostBed adjustable base brings multiple new possibilities into your bedroom all in a single product. With the endless adjustments, you can more easily get in and out of bed, soothe aches and pains, sit up with ease, and recover more easily from surgery or medical procedures without having to rely on stacks of pillows to prop you up.
If you’re ready to add the GhostBed adjustable base to your virtual shopping cart, let’s first make sure you have a compatible mattress. While all memory foam and latex mattresses are a good fit, you may run into trouble with some innerspring units, particularly those consisting of continuous coils. This is dependent on their construction as some aren’t flexible enough to accommodate the changing positions. This can lead to pressure points and overall discomfort.
If you’re going to be buying a mattress to go with the GhostBed adjustable base, you can’t go wrong with either the GhostBed or GhostBed Luxe, which is what I used.
Note on Use with Existing Headboard
You can use your GhostBed adjustable base with:
- Regular foundation
- Headboard and footboard with side rails and slats
Assembling the GhostBed Adjustable Base
I love that the Ghostbed adjustable base is simple to put together. For the most part, it’s ready to go. Everything comes in one box, which is nice, and the entire unit is able to fold in half, so you don’t have to worry about connecting a center tube as is sometimes the case when everything is in one box.
Time: 30-40 Minutes
Inside the Box
- 2 AAA batteries
- 6 legs
- Retainer bracket
- 2 pins
5 Step Assembly Instructions
- Place the box on the ground following the arrows on the side of the box to ensure the base is facing the right way when you open it.
2. Attach 4 sets on the bottom section of the base and carefully flip it over so you can then attach the remaining two legs to the head section.
3. Detach the power cord from the bottom, and unfold the base.
4. Plugin the power cord, and place the batteries in the remote.
5. Remove the pins from the retainer, insert retainer into the two holes at the foot of the bed, and return the pins to hold the retainer in place.
Note for Split King Users
If you choose the Split King option, you’ll receive two Twin XL bases. If this is you, you’ll also receive bed leg straps to tightly wrap the legs of the two bases together to keep everything aligned and in place.
Pairing the Remote
Once everything is set up, the remote should automatically work. However, if it doesn’t, here’s how to sync it up:
- On the remote, press the “Pair” button twice. Watch the control box on the base as its LED light should turn blue.
- Press and hold the “Pair” button. The light on the remote will flash as it pairs.
- If the process was successful, the LED light on the control box turns green. If it failed, the light will simply turn off. You’ll need to repeat the process.
The GhostBed adjustable base offers some of the most desired features these products have to offer. You can get the Twin XL and Queen models for less than $1,000. If you’re ready to buy, here’s the cost breakdown:
In the event you can’t pay the full price upfront, 0% financing is available for qualified buyers through Affirm.
White-Glove Delivery Option
Setup is simple. However, if you don’t want to bother yourself with it, you can pay extra for white glove delivery. Just indicate you want this service during the payment process, and someone will reach out in 3-5 business days to arrange a good time to show up. White glove delivery includes unboxing, setup, and even removal of your old mattress if necessary. Here’s the extra cost:
- $199 for 1-2 items (e.g. one mattress + one foundation)
- $299 for 3+ items (e.g. King mattress + 2 TXL adjustable bases)
GhostBed recognizes those who go above and beyond. That’s why they offer special discounts to various folks. This is only applicable on orders that include a mattress purchase.
- Veteran’s Discount
- 15% off your order
- Available to Active Duty, Retirees, Veterans, Military Spouses, and Military Family Members
- Academic Discount
- 15% off your order
- Available to Teachers and Students
- Government Employee Discount
- 15% off your order
- Available to Federal, State, and Local Government Employees
- First Responder Discount
- 15% off your order
- Available to Police, Firefighters, EMTs, and more
- Referral Program
- Tell a friend and receive $100 cash with no limits if they purchase GhostBed products. This is only valid for mattress sales, and it can’t be combined with any other deals or promotions.
3 Year Extended Warranty
The GhostBed adjustable base comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty that includes 1-year service repair coverage. You can choose to purchase the 3 years extended warranty, but it can only be purchased at the time of checkout. It covers:
Minor Customer Service Concern
I like that the customer service team is located in the United States, and I had the pleasure of speaking with them a few different times during the course of my review process. For the most part, they were able to address my concerns. However, on one occasion, after I asked my question via online chat, my representative simply left the chat. That was annoying having just taken the time to type out my question.
I opened a new browser and asked again. I was inquiring as to why my base was black but the one on the company website appeared white. As you can see in this exchange, the rep seemed to lack this product knowledge.
Customer service hours are also limited to 8 am -10 pm EST.
You might want to check: GhostBed Sheet Set Review
Let’s cut to the chase… is the GhostBed adjustable base a good buy? I give it two thumbs up, especially if:
- You’re on a budget of around $1,000.
- You don’t want to go through a lot of hassle to get everything set up.
- You’re looking for a base that offers popular extra features like massage, USB charging ports, and under-the-bed lights.
It’s worth noting that, if you’re using a California king mattress, this isn’t for you as they don’t offer this size. The GhostBed adjustable base is only available in Twin XL, Queen, and Split King sizes. There are also no returns, so make sure you’re confident this will work for your needs before you buy.
Aside from this, I was very happy with the GhostBed adjustable base. It offers all the bells and whistles at a much lower price than many competitors. If you’re in the market to transform your room and introduce a whole new sleep experience into your life, this product is for you.