This Mattress Could be for You If:
- You’re a hot sleeper.
- You like a little bounce with the memory foam contour.
- You weigh less than 250 pounds.
- You have mobility issues.
- You suffer with excessive pressure points.
- You are primarily a side sleeper.
The past couple weeks, I’ve been taking a close look at Amerisleep’s AS3 mattresses. Recently, we examined their foam option, and today we’re taking a look at the hybrid version of this same model. By replacing the transition and base foams with an eight-inch innerspring unit, the hybrid version of this medium mattress is one that offers profound bounce for a memory foam product.
Not only did the innerspring unit provide a more responsive sleep surface, it also aids in breathability, one of three features that makes this mattress one of my top recommendations for hot sleepers. Before we get into the nuts and bolts, let’s learn a little bit about the company.
Amerisleep has been in the bed-in-a-box business since 2010. They offer five different mattresses to cater to a broad range of sleepers, each featuring a unique firmness. The mattresses range from the AS1 to the AS5 models, and they get plusher as the number gets higher. Three is right in the middle, making the AS3 their medium option.
It was all the way back in 2006 that Amerisleep founders Firas & Joe Kittaneh and Joey Holt collaborated in their goal to use the power of the Internet to make high-quality products more affordable and readily available. They were among the pioneers of the now highly popular bed-in-a-box industry. Forbes even referred to them as “The Apple of Mattress Stores.”
Headquartered in Scottsdale, AZ, Amerisleep products are made in the USA. Their plant-based materials not only reduce off-gassing but also help protect the environment and keep you sleeping nice and cool.
What Does the AS3 Hybrid Feel Like?
The AS3 hybrid mattress combines memory foam and innersprings, and this is a great tactic in helping mitigate excessive sinkage in memory foam while providing that added bounce to make it easy to get in and out of bed. This is a unique layer lineup, so let’s take some time to talk about how it feels in terms of comfort, firmness and contour.
Remember, your weight is going to make a difference in feel, especially since heavier folks are going to sink in deeper, thus interacting more directly with the innerspring unit.
Off the bat, I’d like to mention if you’re a fan of the sinky memory foam feel, you aren’t going to like this product. The AS3 foam mattress is going to be a much more suitable fit, and I’d encourage you to have a look at my review of this product.
If you’re looking for a mattress that retains the memory foam contour while eliminating excessive hug, I think you’ll be shocked with the tremendous amount of bounce and responsiveness the AS3 hybrid features.
When lying on the mattress, the combination of Bio-Pur® memory foam and proprietary zoned innersprings was a homerun. Not only do you not feel stuck in the mattress, but these two measures go a long way in keeping pressure points minimal, which is great news for side sleepers.
Your Weight Makes a Difference
If you suffer with excessive pressure in the hips and shoulders, you’ll really appreciate the zoning measures. However, if you weigh more than 250 pounds, you’re going to start losing that memory foam contour and comfort, and side sleeping may cause you to sink too deeply into the mattress. I think these products will be more up your alley.
Back sleepers will enjoy the balance of support and comfort. The proprietary zoning does a fantastic job keeping my hips from sinking excessively while also maintaining proper lumbar support.
The only area of concern was stomach sleeping as the medium firmness doesn’t quite provide the level of support needed. If you’re primarily a stomach sleeper, I think you may do better with one of Amerisleep’s firmer options, so I encourage you to check out their AS1 or AS2 models.
Amerisleep AS3 Hybrid Firmness & Contour
The AS3 hybrid is considered medium in terms of firmness. Some may assume a mattress that’s nearly 70% innerspring would be very firm. That’s where the coil gauge comes in handy. This number usually ranges between 12-15. The higher the number, the plusher the coils. The AS3 has a coil gauge of 14.5. For innersprings, this is pretty plush.
To give you a visual on firmness, let’s take a look at how the AS3 hybrid measures up against the competition using our proprietary firmness and contour testing tool. Taking a look at this chart, we’ll examine the length of the blue, red and yellow lines.
- You can see the AS3 hybrid is much lower on the chart than the AS3 foam mattress, and this means it’s plusher. This is largely due to the coil gauge we talked about. So, believe it or not, the hybrid mattress is going to provide a plusher feel with more advanced contour.
- While it is medium, it’s on the plusher end of the medium spectrum. These results are highly suggestive of a mattress that’s a good fit for people with a BMI under 25 and who weigh less than 250 pounds.
- Side sleepers in particular benefit from the long yellow line and this indicates the support layer will be capable of offering comfortable contour in the heavier areas of the body like the hips and shoulders.
In particular, the AS3 hybrid is an ideal fit for side sleepers weighing less than 250 pounds who carry a lot of weight in a particular area of the body.
AS3 Hybrid Layer Lineup
The AS3 mattresses all look the same on the outside with the cover made of a blend of polyester, spandex and Celliant. Celliant is an ultra-breathable material known to convert body heat into infrared energy, helping you sleep cool and feel rejuvenated when you wake up. The spandex allows the material to snap back into place quickly, and this prevents it from bunching up when you move around.
Amerisleep keeps the layer lineup simple with the combination of three material types. If you read our review of the AS3 foam mattress, this included a comfort, transition and base layer. The AS3 hybrid is unique in that it skips the transition layer. We still find the three-inch layer of Bio-Pur® memory foam in the comfort zone. You can see the small holes throughout the material, and this allows it to sleep cooler than traditional memory foam.
As memory foam is known for, the Bio-Pur® layer offers excellent contour as the material conforms to the unique curves of your body.
Where we typically find a transition layer, Amerisleep took a unique approach in going straight from the comfort layer into the eight-inch innerspring support layer. The result is a bouncy mattress that makes it incredibly easy to move around. If you’ve ever struggled with overly-sinky memory foam but enjoyed the contour, I think you’ll love this combination.
Not for People over 250 Pounds
The three inches of memory foam provides an adequate buffer between the body and the innersprings. However, if you weigh more than 250 pounds, you may begin to notice a decline in comfort as you sink deeper into the support layer.
For those weighing less than this, I think you’ll really enjoy the combination of the memory foam contour and the proprietary zoned support in the innersprings. The zoning offers more support in the lower back to improve comfort, reduce pressure points, and add more cushion in the areas like the hips and shoulders.
The lineup ends off with a one-inch layer of transition base foam. It might not look like much, but it serves a couple of important functions. For starters, it boosts support and structure to maintain the overall integrity of the mattress. It also adds to durability as you don’t want to end the layer lineup with an innerspring unit. As a whole, the AS3 hybrid mattress is 12 inches thick.
AS3 Hybrid Heat Transfer Testing
In order to enter the most restorative stages of sleep, your body temperature needs to slightly decrease. When a mattress sleeps hot, it’ll never be able to deliver the quality sleep you need. Most companies these days employ measures to keep you sleeping cool. In the case of the AS3 hybrid, there are three primary tactics working in your favor:
- The Celliant technology used in the cover is scientifically designed to regulate body temperature by turning body heat into recyclable energy to help you recover from your day. It also improves the oxygenation of cells to promote blood flow and full-body rejuvenation.
- The Bio-Pur® memory foam has an open-cell design. The small holes in the material allow it to breathe. Furthermore, unlike petroleum-based memory foams, Bio-Pur® memory foam’s plant-based production is less likely to trap heat.
- The individually-wrapped coils are highly breathable by design.
I was very impressed with the results of our heat transfer testing with the AS3 foam mattress, and I expected this one to do even better with the breathable innersprings. Not only did the AS3 hybrid cool off 25% faster than the AS3 foam mattress, but it performed 55% better than the average mattress I’ve tried out, making it one of my top recommended mattresses for hot sleepers.
To ensure you sleep as cool as possible, you also have to consider your sheets and blankets. Thick sheets can trap heat and reduce the overall breathability of your mattress. That’s why Amerisleep also offers their highly breathable bedding. I’ll leave a link in the description if you’d like to add that to your order for the coolest sleep possible.
Amerisleep AS3 Hybrid Performance Testing
Edge support is an easily overlooked yet critical consideration in mattress shopping, and innersprings typically provide solid support that keeps you from falling out of bed and makes getting in and out of bed easy. In the case of Amerisleep’s AS3 hybrid mattress, it goes a step further in the addition of the firm perimeter foam encasement.
As you can see when I sit on various areas of the edge, I am very well supported. Foam mattresses often bottom out when you sit on the corner, but not on this product. Furthermore, when lying on the edge, I barely sink in. If you have a sleep partner and typically lie close to the edge, you’ll be well supported on this AS3 hybrid mattress. It’s also an excellent choice for people with mobility issues.
Motion Transfer Reduction
Foam mattresses typically dominate in motion transfer reduction while innerspring units are more effective in solid edge support. In a hybrid mattress like the AS3 that combines memory foam and innersprings, you typically arrive at a pretty decent balance between these two components, especially considering the coils are independently wrapped.
To demonstrate, I dropped a 20-pound medicine ball next to another of equal weight. When we compared this test to the same one performed on the AS3 foam mattress, the foam product did better at keeping motion isolated. I encourage you to watch the video above to see this test in action.
Although the foam mattress performed better, the resting ball isn’t significantly impacted on the hybrid model. What’s this mean for you? That depends:
- Do you have a sleep partner who moves around a lot or gets in and out of bed often? If so, you may prefer the more stable sleep surface offered by the AS3 foam mattress.
- Do you have mobility issues or prefer a less sinky sleep surface that offers excellent support and bounce? I’d definitely recommend the hybrid alternative.
If you think the AS3 hybrid might be the right mattress for you, let’s take some time to talk about durability. You want to get your money’s worth in your mattress purchase, and there are some key aspects we can examine to get a good idea of quality expectations.
The first layer is important since this is where most wear and tear takes place. In the case of the AS3 hybrid, this is the three-inch Bio-Pur® memory foam layer. Here, we want to examine the density. In memory foam:
- Three pounds per cubic foot = good
- Four pounds per cubic foot = great
- Five pounds per cubic foot = above and beyond
The Bio-Pur® memory foam weighs in at four pcf, and, in the $1,500 price range, this is an excellent value.
Of course, the innersprings make up the bulk of the mattress, and here we like to see a coil count of around 800 in a queen for great durability. The AS3 hybrid has 759. It’s not quite 800, but I think it’s well compensated by three distinct features:
- The excellent durability of the memory foam above provides a great buffer.
- The coils are individually wrapped, meaning pressure on one area won’t have a direct impact on other areas. This goes a long way in delaying sagging and soft spots.
- The perimeter foam serves to protect the springs and make them last.
With normal wear and tear, this product should last between seven to eight years, providing an excellent overall value.
Maintenance, Protection, Care, and Warranty
To protect you against manufacturing-related issues, you’re backed by a 20-year warranty. There are also preventive measures you can take to keep your mattress in great shape:
- The weight limit is 300 pounds per sleep partner, so don’t exceed this recommendation.
- The cover has a zipper for easy removal, and you can wash it using cold water on the gentle cycle. Don’t put it in the dryer though. Air dry only.
- The layer lineup doesn’t allow for the mattress to be flipped since lying directly on innersprings would be super uncomfortable.
- Since the innersprings are zoned, rotating would throw off the pressure-relieving efficiency of the mattress. I’d suggest sleep partners to switch spots every few months and single sleepers not to sleep primarily in one spot.
- Buy a mattress protector. Your mattress is a long-term investment, and you don’t want to have to stare at a stain for the next eight years. Trust me, it’s worth it!
Is Amerisleep’s AS3 hybrid meeting all the requirements for your next mattress? If you think it could be the one, let’s take a look at the price breakdown:
Here at The Sleep Judge, we love it when our viewers do their homework before buying a new mattress. We’d like to help you by knocking $250 off your order. If you decide to buy, make sure you enter promo code TSJ250 at checkout!
Who We Recommend the Amerisleep AS3 Hybrid Mattress For
We’ve covered a lot of ground, so let’s go ahead and start wrapping things up. In a nutshell, is Amerisleep’s AS3 hybrid mattress the right sleep solution for your needs? Let’s look at some of the key features that make this mattress a great choice:
- If you are a back or side sleeper who has struggled in the past with excessive pressure points, I think you’ll really appreciate the targeted zoning.
- Hot sleepers will love the result of the three-pronged approach at breathability.
- Sleep partners who like a little bit of bounce on their sleep surface can rest assured the individually-wrapped coils minimize motion transfer.
Amerisleep AS3 Hybrid: Our Final Verdict
Overall, I had a very positive experience with Amerisleep as a company. Customer service is very responsive. I used their online chat option a couple of times during my review process, and I found their representatives go the extra mile to provide the most accurate information possible.
If you weigh more than 250 pounds, I think you’ll begin to lose the benefits of the zoning as your body weight will cause you to sink too deeply into the innerspring unit. We’ve taken a look at other products built for your needs. Furthermore, if you are primarily a stomach sleeper, I don’t think the medium-plush firmness is going to be the best suited. The AS1 or AS2 will probably be a better fit in your case.
With that being said, people weighing less than 250 pounds who like excellent bounce, have issues moving around or getting in and out of bed, sleep hot and suffer with excessive pressure points should definitely consider Amerisleep’s AS3 hybrid mattress. If you think it’s right for you, you do get 100 nights to test everything we’ve discussed here for yourself.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does it work on adjustable beds?
Yes, it works with: - Traditional Frames - Adjustable Frames - Platform/Foundation - Box Spring with 0.75-inch piece of moisture-resistant plywood on top- failure to use plywood will void the warranty
Does it need to be rotated?
Where can these mattresses be shipped?
Free shipping within continental US
Is it a plush, medium, or firm?
How long does it take for the mattress to fully decompress after unboxing?
Is there a weight limit on the AS3 hybrid mattress?
300 pounds per sleep partner
Can you sleep on the AS3 hybrid without a cover?
You could, but it’s not recommended.
Can you flip the AS3 hybrid mattress?
No, this would put the layers in the wrong order.