When it comes to your mattress, it is imperative that you choose a model that will suit not only your personal wants but also our body’s needs. There are so many beds flooding the market today that it can be difficult to sift through them and determine what a good bed can do for your busy lifestyle. If you find yourself waking in the morning with new aches and pains then your current mattress could be to blame.
Sleep is one of the things that your body requires on a daily basis to ensure a high quality of life in regard to both physical and mental health. A person who tries to live their daily life without sleep will find themselves experiencing mood swings and can even be more forgetful in their day-to-day tasks.
What are You Sleeping On?
The mattress you are sleeping on is the key component to achieving the level of sleep required to live a healthy life and that level is approximately seven to nine hours for the average adult. Without the proper sleep, even your physical health is threatened and suddenly injuries or illnesses can be harder to recover from because your immune system is comprised.
Look into beds that feature multiple layers to ensure maximum support and allow the proper alignment of all your joints to provide automatic relief to those aching muscles and joints. Even the addition of a good topper can make all the difference.
What to Look For
Specifications – Layers/Height/Weight
Always look at the different specifications of any mattress you’re buying, whether that is a memory foam mattress, a coil spring mattress, or a latex mattress. The individual specifications can sometimes have a deeper meaning that the brand name stamped on the side of the mattress. Even trusted and well-known brands could have a line of beds with multiple models that each target a different area of the body for pain relief and optimal support.
Some people think the higher the number of layers within a bed will equal a more supportive mattress but this isn’t always the case; as the most important thing to look at is what makes up these layers and if its compatible materials.
Look at the height qualifications of the bed to ensure it will be a good fit for your body stature, as many people use a bed frame and/or foundation support system which adds even more height to the mattress. The majority of injuries reported that occurred in the bedroom have all centered on a too-high bed, which increases the chance of injury if you should fall out of the bed.
Double check the weight of the bed, especially if the plan is to use the existing bedframe as they are restricted to a maximum of a set weight for optimal safety and to avoid the risk of collapse which can lead to injury.
Sleep Position and Firmness Preference
Unless research is involved, the majority of people do not realize that there is a direct correlation between an individual’s sleep position and the firmness of their bed. If the mattress that is currently in use does not support the sleeper’s preferred position, then the pressure isn’t removed from the areas of the body that respond negatively along with there is no redirected pressure to the areas that positively benefit from it.
Generally, the pressure is created and reduced in equal measures throughout a bed by the distribution of body weight and if the firmness level if higher than suited for your body along with the sleep position, then this process doesn’t happen.
The general rule of thumb to remember when browsing through different models and types is that the medium-firm style mattresses will suit sleepers of all positions – front (stomach), side and back. This is why medium-firm is considered the universal firmness level because firm mattresses are suitable for front and back sleepers but not side and soft beds do not have the support required for back sleepers but it does support front and side sleepers.
Customer Service – Shipping/Delivery
One of the most important things to look into before making any major purchases is the customer service provided. No one wants to be stuck with a product that isn’t right for them and instead of resolving the issue, spends their days on the phone or writing emails trying to reach a resolution.
Look through not only the reviews on the official website of a product but also through the reviews on independent publications. Check out business bureaus that should have reviews and ratings about the majority of legitimate online businesses.
Browse through reviews to determine if the shipping costs and wait times are as listed along with how the selected company handled the delivery of other customers’ mattresses. Independent publications can be a great source of information as it hasn’t been as deeply censored as the reviews on the official website.
Top 4 Best Amazon Mattress Reviews
Here’s a roundup of the best mattresses on Amazon.
1. AmazonBasics Memory Foam Mattress
- Dimensions: 80 x 76 x 8 inches; 80 x 76 x 10 inches; 80 x 76 x 12 inches
- Weight: ranges from 32 lbs. to 90 lbs. depending on the model chosen
- Price: ranges from $129.99 to $349.99, depending on the model chosen
Made and sold by Amazon, the AmazonBasics Memory Foam bed is three plush layers of alternating memory foam that cradles the body into a contouring cocoon of softness. With a soft-firm rating on the firmness scale, this mattress distributes body weight evenly throughout the mattress and reduces motion transfer felt throughout the night.
The first layer of the mattress is plush memory foam to allow for the slight sinking of the sleeper in order to get that cradling sensation memory foam beds are known for. This layer contours to the body and begins the first step in weight distribution and pressure relief.
The second layer of the mattress even features numerous air holes to circulate the air throughout the mattress and reduce the temperature of the sleeping surface to a minimum for a peaceful sleep. Making it a great choice if you deal with night sweating.
Finally, this mattress has a layer of firm memory foam as a support layer, allowing for the first two layers to offset the firmness of this one for an overall contouring and transformative sleep experience.
A crisp white color, this memory foam bed can be purchased in three different heights – 8”, 10” and 12” models that range in size from Twin to California King (only available in the 12” model). With numerous positive reviews and a solid memory foam base at a fraction of bigger brand-name cost, this mattress is climbing the ranks to become of the best price mattresses on a budget.
- Three layers of memory foam – a top cushion layer to provide contouring; a secondary layer of firmer memory foam with numerous air holes; a third layer of dense foam that supports the mattress and the sleeper as a whole.
- Available in different heights and mattress sizes.
- Backed by the Amazon warranty – product, shipping, etc.
- Can only get the California King size in the 12” model.
- Some reviews mentioned that it took at least two weeks to get rid of the “new” odor emitting from the mattress.
2. Tuft and Needle Foam Mattress
- Dimensions: 39 x 75 x 10 inches up to 72 x 84 x 10 inches, depending on model chosen.
- Weight: ranges from 54 lbs. to 93lbs. depending on the model chosen.
- Price: ranges from $350.00 to $750.00, depending on the model chosen.
Probably one of the mattresses to buy on Amazon. This foam bed is made by Tuft & Needle and is marketed with the tagline “sleeps cooler with more pressure relief and support than any other memory foam mattress”. Using adaptive foams surrounded by a crisp and cool cover, it is no wonder that this mattress routinely makes the best selling beds on Amazon list as well as making the recommendation lists for numerous independent publications.
Using an adaptive foam that features the contouring properties of memory foam combined with the airflow channels of cotton, this mattress comes as a bed-in-a-box with a 100-night trial and accompanying 10-year warranty. This trial and warranty is in effect whether you purchase the mattress through Amazon or through the Tuft & Needle website.
The bouncy and supportive nature of this mattress supports sleepers of all positions as it adapts to the position of the sleeper which means you don’t have to worry about firmness levels.
- Available in six sizes – Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King.
- Risk-free 100 night sleep trial available upon purchase of the mattress.
- Cannot choose a particular firmness level so satisfaction could be diminished.
- Have to give up to 72 hours before odors are completely gone from the mattress.
3. Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress
- Dimensions: 60 x 80 x 9 inches up to 80 x 60 x 9 inches, depending on model chosen.
- Price: ranges from $595.00 to $1,195.00, depending on the model chosen.
The Pure Green Mattress is a revolutionary mattress that is made from pure natural latex and features no blended or synthetic foam materials, so the sleeper receives the full benefits of latex. Latex is naturally movable and will contour around the body to provide maximum support during slumber. It will have a generous bounce that distributes the body weight around the mattress to relieve pressure while the natural breathability of latex removes any trapped body heat from the mattress, preventing it from rising to the sleeping surface.
This mattress also features a pre-attached organic cotton cover that allows for cotton’ natural breathability and moisture-wicking properties to be felt in full effect combined with layers of New Zealand wool to provide additional comfort for the sleeper.
- Available in six mattress sizes – Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King
- Can be purchased through Amazon or the Pure Green website but either way, the trial period and 10-year warranty are accessible from the purchase date.
- Only available in a firm mattress, so those who sleep on their side might find this mattress uncomfortable for them long-term, as evidenced in the reviews.
4. Bear Mattress
- Dimensions: 75 x 39 x 10 inches up to 84 x 72 x 10 inches, depending on model chosen.
- Price: ranges from $540.00 to $940.00, depending on the model chosen.
The Bear Mattress is a foam mattress that features alternating types of foams that infused gel and graphite to achieve a level of contouring support. This mattress also uses a Celliant mattress cover to provide a high level of relief from aches and pains, either caused by everyday life or athletic injuries. Celliant is a patent-pending material that has been proven to use body heat transferred to infrared light to target areas that is experiencing a lower than normal blood count that can prevent healing. Celliant is also known for being extremely breathable and will allow the body heat not transferred to the infrared light to escape.
Backed by a trial period and a company warranty, the Bear Mattress is quickly becoming the go-to mattress for those who live an active lifestyle for its healing properties and refreshing sleep.
- Available in six mattress sizes – Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King
- Can be purchased through Amazon or the Bear Mattress website but either way, the trial period and 10-year warranty are accessible from the purchase date.
- Universal comfort, as the firmness level is suitable for sleepers of all positions.
- Celliant is still pending confirmation that the trapped body heat can actually be transferred to infrared light and instead the information comes from private studies.
A mattress is not a last-minute purchase, or at least it shouldn’t be! Don’t be sucked in by flash sales that pop-up online and once you received the product which needs a return or refund, they are nowhere to be found. Take your time and take an in-depth look before making the final decision, whether it be one of the mattresses described above or another well-known and trusted brand.
Always consult with a healthcare practitioner if there are any existing sleep issues or body conditions that would benefit from a particular mattress and learn what type of mattress to avoid to prevent flare-ups or recurrences of existing conditions.
The average adult spends about a third of their life in bed sleeping, resting, healing and soothing their tired souls; so the chance to do this in comfort while saving money? Priceless.