Have you ever wanted to start meditating but had no clue where to start? Thanks to technology, we once again have the means to easily do something that we might not know too much about.
When it comes to guided meditation, Headspace and Calm often pop up. What are these two apps, how do they compare to each other, and which is the right one for you?
|Price Range||$12.99 per month or $69.99 per year||$69.99 per year or $399 for lifetime access|
|Free Trial||7 or 14 days||7 days|
|Available For||iOS and Android devices||iOS and Android devices, desktops|
|Best Feature||Meditation sessions for workouts||Daily new meditations|
|Worst Feature||New meditations are added monthly||Subscription difficult to cancel|
About the Headspace App
Headspace began as an event company in 2010. However, the company shifted to an online model after users expressed a desire to practice guided meditation at home.
The organization offers guided meditations, videos, animations, and articles to assist individuals who struggle with worry, stress, and difficulties sleeping.
Headspace now has an average customer rating of 2.3/ 5 stars on Trustpilot. The business is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Headspace has received an F grade from the Better Business Bureau.
Positive reviewers report that they find Headspace meditation to be helpful and love the variety of exercises and meditations available. Negative reviewers claim they had problems canceling their subscription and considered Headspace to be prohibitively pricey.
About the Calm App
Calm made its debut in 2012. According to the firm, there have been over 100 million downloads. Calm has earned numerous honors, including the 2018 Google Play Editor’s Choice and 2017 Apple App of the Year.
The organization offers meditation exercises to assist individuals in sleeping better, relaxing, and concentrating.
Calm currently has an average customer rating of 1.8/5 stars on Trustpilot and an F rating from the Better Business Bureau. Calm is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau.
According to those who left good reviews, Calm’s meditation and mindfulness services were beneficial, with numerous users stating that they slept better as a result of using the app. However, some who wrote negative reviews stated that they encountered difficulties terminating their subscription.
Pros and Cons to Headspace
Some of the advantages of using the Headspace app include:
- The app is simple to navigate and features bright, clear aesthetics and content.
- If you purchase a yearly subscription, the cost is almost half that ($5.83 each month).
- Meditations can be downloaded and listened to offline.
The app features a diverse selection of movement/workout videos and mindfulness exercises.
- You can set meditation goals and keep track of your progress.
- It has a wealth of information for novice meditators.
- It includes guided, partially guided, and self-directed meditations.
- Certain guided meditations allow you to select your own teacher/guide.
And some of the potential drawbacks worth mentioning are:
- According to several critics, the meditations are too identical and lacking in variety.
- Certain users have difficulty canceling subscriptions or contacting customer support.
- The amount of free stuff available is restricted.
- The free trial period is available only once you’ve signed up for a payment plan.
Pros and Cons to Calm
The Calm app also offers a wide range of pros, such as:
- It features a sizable collection of Sleep Stories, several of which are recounted by celebrities.
- The app includes guided and self-directed meditations.
- You can keep a record of your moods throughout time.
- The application is accessible in six different languages.
- A collection of focus music featuring songs by well-known performers.
- The Calm app is simple to use and suitable for beginners.
- The application is updated on a regular basis.
- You will receive daily quotes on mindfulness.
But it also has a few cons:
- Sleep Stories may be too lengthy for certain users.
- According to some consumers, contacting customer service is tough.
- You will be required to input payment information in order to access the free trial.
Headspace vs. Calm App: A Compare and Contrast
With Headspace, there are tons of features at your disposal. You have guided theme meditations, support, timed meditations, a dedicated sleep section, and even focus or movement activities.
Calm also has its fair share of features. Daily Calm is a popular one, with 10 minutes of guided meditation provided by the app. You also have a Quick & Easy section whenever you want a short meditation session.
One of Headspace’s primary goals is to assist users in achieving comfortable sleep. The company offers free audio and video samples that customers can try before committing to a membership.
According to the business, Headspace offers a variety of sleepcasts that create an environment conducive to good, undisturbed sleep. Sleepcasts are 45–55 minutes in length and begin with a breathing technique or meditation practice, followed by a narrator describing a drowsy landscape to the accompaniment of a soothing soundtrack.
Calm includes a variety of sleep stories, some of which are voiced by celebrities such as Idris Elba. The app offers soundscapes and a variety of music alternatives to aid in the promotion of calm sleep. Calm offers guided pre-sleep meditations. These sessions last between two and thirty minutes and may help patients unwind before sleeping.
The Headspace app features a plethora of tracks. Several employ repeating harmonics to create a serene ambiance, while others employ a unique combination of nature sounds and live instruments to create a nice, soothing ambiance suitable to sleep.
The Calm app’s music section features instrumental and lo-fi music. There are also Sleep Remixes, which feature slower-tempo renditions of popular songs by world-renowned artists.
Headspace is a free download that includes free trials and a limited number of free features. If you want full access, you can upgrade your account to Headspace Plus for $12.99 per month with a free seven-day trial or for $69.99 per year with a 14-day free trial. Additionally, there are student and family options available.
You can also download Calm for free. If you opt to sign up for the 7-day trial, you will be automatically enrolled in Calm Premium, which costs $69.99 per year or $14.99 per month. You can cancel your trial up to one day before it expires without being charged. Calm also provides a $ 399.99-lifetime subscription.
You might be interested in: The Best Meditation Apps for Every Level of Use
Out of all available meditation apps, Headspace and Calm are probably the strongest competitors for one another.
Both companies provide a risk-free trial period. After the trial period expires, individuals must purchase a monthly, annual, or lifetime subscription to continue accessing any content.
Meditation may aid in the alleviation of anxiety, sadness, stress, and sleep disorders. Additionally, it may alleviate symptoms associated with other chronic illnesses, such as irritable bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis.
For more awesome recs, check out our list of the best sound machines for sleep.
Photo credit: Srdjan Randjelovic/Shutterstock